Opening Act is a non-profit community training and educational development company that is based in Mangaung, Bloemfontein, Free State Province. It was founded in 2018 with the aim to operate as a recognized organization of excellence, while capacitating, empowering and developing Free State Arts in the provision of professional theatre entertainment.
/ Performing Arts
The company consists of four directors namely; Nathaniel M. Mabote, a project manager/lighting and sound technician; Nicola E. Hassett, a theatre producer; Masedi G. Manenye, a university drama and theatre arts lecture and director; Jefferson J. Dirks-Korkee, a creative arts practitioner and educator. Each with extensive combined experience of more than 30 years in the performing arts industry.
The directors of Opening Act NPC provide strategic direction, leadership and oversight, so as to enhance value and ensure the company’s long-term sustainability, development and growth. In fulfilling its responsibilities, the Directors are supported by Free State freelance Arts Practitioners in implementing the objectives.
Since its inception, the company has produced theatre productions that focus on social issues and community training and educational development programs that tackle the issues and challenges in communities.
Opening Act strives to provide underprivileged emerging artists with tools, resources, and learning support, to help connect and introduce them to the mainstream sectors of the industry
- To be a leading artistic platform providing sustainable, development-oriented and diverse programming;
- To produce and present innovative and relevant indigenous entertainment programs that promote multiculturalism, diversity and social cohesion;
- To conceptualize, manage, host and promote high quality performing arts and entertainment experiences;
- To create opportunities for affordable access by all communities, through audience development and education programs for the benefit of our diverse communities;
- To provide support and opportunities for the youth and emerging artists, including the development of future arts practitioners and entrepreneurs to develop young artistic talent to take its rightful place in mainstream arts and culture events;
- To work in partnership with stakeholders to maximize the impact of our programs by implementing inclusive programs that enhances and retain Free State talent and capacity within arts, culture and recreation.
- To provide high quality entertaining, innovative and inclusive program, as well as cultural and educational programs that provide a forum for creative and personal expression, which serves the divers communities of the City of Roses, enhancing the lives of local residents and visitors;
- To be a vibrant home where arts, culture and recreation promote nation building, economic growth and create sustainable livelihoods through ensuring skilled, active and healthy communities;
- To identify talent in the Free State across all disciplines;
- To mentor, tutor and guide;
- To increase and develop creativity by exposing artists to new business models and different artistic approaches; and
- To allow the artist to learn and experience first-hand from renowned sector discipline mentors.
Opening Act is a non-profit company with the objective to community training and educational development, in order to remain sustainable; we provide the following services to arts practitioners and the private sector:
Production / Project / Stage Management;
Producing / Arts Administration;
Coordination of Workshops.
Performing Arts: Development, trainers & Adjudication
In line with good management practices and requirements, the management of Opening Act NPC embarks on an annual planning process, which focuses on critically examining the goals, objectives and performance metrics, to ensure that they are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time bound in accordance with “SMART” principles.